Are you still paying monthly subscription fees for any MMOs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by wowtgp, Aug 21, 2013.

1. LemonTea

LemonTea Member

No, and I don't recommend it to anyone.

The subscription based model doesn't work anymore, and only a few games like WoW can actually sustain itself doing it. And even then, they are continually losing subscribers. I'm not sure if even the newly re-released Final Fantasy 14 will be able to keep up for more than a year without switching to Free-to-Play.

Most pay-to-play games have had to switch to micro transactions. Tera Online, SWTOR, Star Trek Online, DC Universe Online, Aion, RIFT... I could go on forever.

I don't think players are willing to drop $60 on the box, $15/month subscription fees and $40 expansions anymore.

2. bknight

bknight Active Member

Well I quit paying those monthly subs after stopped playing WoW but as soon as the PS4 arrives I'll be needing to pay 5$ monthly if I want to play online so it's almost the same thing lol, that's 60$ yearly, f*ck my life...

3. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

It's really addictive man. I know, how upset I used to be when I uninstalled this game from my PC to stop playing it. I hope you get rid of it soon.

4. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

But you are getting some free games as ell with this subscription fees. No love lost there.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

What's this about? You need to subscribe to a service and PAY to play online?!

6. Walleye

Walleye Member

I have never paid for a subscrption on any mmo. Although I have considerd it for a few games. I have yet to feel it was worth a fee like that when there are so many other games that are F2P. Why pay a subscription fee for any game when I can buy game on steam or at a store for the same amount and have no reoccuring cost. I so far have mostly avoided the Item stores in the F2P games I have played as well. If I reall enjoy the game why not grind through it andget the items anyway or at least equivalent items. I am more of a proponent of the B2P model if you are going to spend money on a mmo. As for ESO... they plan on you buying the game ($60) and then have to subscribe to play ($15 a month) and then you have micro transactions as well. ESO has just lost a huge fan of the elder scrolls series. I began playing in daggerfall and have played every release since. REALLY disappointed in Zenimax's evident greed in a game that I would have loved to play.

7. Walleye

Walleye Member

Yeah a $60 game with a $15 monthly fee and then add in the micro transactions they are planning on? How much are you really willing to pay to play the elder scrolls online? That is a minimum of $240 in the first year without any micro transactions. This is just greed on Zenimax's part and I for one refuse to pay thier prices just to play a game.

8. marleysa

marleysa Member

The only online game that I ever paid for monthly was WOW and that didn't last for long, only about 3 or 4 months before I got so bored with the game and stopped my subscription. I don't think I will ever be tempted to spend money on any game again.

9. NatureSun

NatureSun Well-Known Member

The game has no installation, it runs on browsers. o_O

And why would I want to get rid of it? I barely login for like 2 minutes per 2-3 days. I wish I could play it a bit more now a days, but it has just lost the appeal.

10. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1 Active Member

Not anymore. For the first time ever, I bought a few months on Runescape at the beginning of this year, until they ruined the layout. Then I stopped and also gave up playing in the meantime.

11. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

I have before with WoW, but never again! It's not the fact that I hate paying for games, but it's the fact that there are so many decent free games that I can't justify paying a monthly fee! I mean look at GW2, it's a great game, you buy it once and it's yours. Also LoL, Smite etc, you don't need to pay monthly for games anymore!

Rubymusic1 likes this.
  12. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1 Active Member

Exactly. You can buy games for say, £15, then never have to pay again. Yet online, you could be paying up to £100 per year. What's the point in that?

13. GetFresh

GetFresh Member

I tend to try to stay away from any MMO that requires a monthly subscription. I do however play "freemium" games where the game itself is free to play, but you can buy items to advance yourself more.

Rubymusic1 likes this.
  14. crisscolfer

crisscolfer Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was really excited to play ESO until I heard about the subscription fee. As a broke university student, I barely have enough money to pay for school and keep myself afloat without having to worry about paying monthly for a game I've already paid for.

Another major problem with subscription based: time. If I'm paying for something every month, you can certainly bet that I'll be trying to play it all the time to get the most bang for my buck. That time, unfortunately, could be better used doing things like homework :( I'll stick to my F2Ps for now!

Rubymusic1 likes this.
  15. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1 Active Member

I do that too! That's why I stopped as well because I found I was putting less time into my work and more into the game!

16. crimsonghost747

Regular

Exactly! And then it's a vicious cycle: you realize that you play the game daily so automatically you want to renew your subscription because suddenly it seems like you are getting a lot of playtime out of those $15.

Rubymusic1 likes this.
  17. crimsonghost747

Regular

Exactly! And then it's a vicious cycle: you realize that you play the game daily so automatically you want to renew your subscription because suddenly it seems like you are getting a lot of playtime out of those $15.

18. Riri

Riri Active Member

I still pay monthly fee for WOW because I raid regularly but other than raiding,I don't log on to do anything else. My husband quit the game thinking he'd save money instead,he spent more money on other game on the cash shop.

19. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Same here. I don't wanna continue paying for games I have already bought or even it's free to try game. I am not going pay a monthly subscription for any game no matter how damn good and irresistible a game is. I swear if games like Destiny, The Crew and The Division include a sub fees, I won't even bother touching it.

20. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I don't like any premium games like BF Free to Play at all. Although they are pretty vocal that it's not a F2P game.