Are you still paying monthly subscription fees for any MMOs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by wowtgp, Aug 21, 2013.

1. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I don't remember any games other than Wow and Eve Online that still charge a monthly subscription fees for accessing the game content. Other games that were a subscription based games in the past have gone either buy to play or completely free to play.

So, are you still paying a subscription fees for any MMO? Now that Zenimex has officially revealed that ESO is going to be a subscriptions based game, are you going to pay a monthly fees for it?

2. Trellum

Trellum Member

I used to pay a monthly fee for a game I really liked some years ago, but not anymore. I don't play that game anymore because it has changed so much, changes have been so drastic I can hardly recognize this game. It's no longer fun to play it... it seems everything about this game is centered around money and how to make you spend more money on it.

If I like ESO, I might actually pay for the subscription :) If I really like the game and I've the time to play, then why not? :)

3. sushiking89

sushiking89 Active Member

I used to play Ragnarok Online which had to pay a monthly subscription in order to continue to play. Now I feel it is a waste of money and thus only play free online game. Playing free online game does not mean is good, the company like to indirectly force people to buy their Item Mall items.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm against paying monthly fees. It just pisses me off to pay for a game and then keep on paying monthly just so I can use to content that I've already paid for... seriously now?

5. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

So, are you going to pay subscriptions fees for ESO? It seems like it.

6. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Just don't get me started on this. I have already played WoW for literally 6 years and know how it feels to be addicted to the game. I am not even going to try any game with subscription fees. Nope!

7. agzander

agzander Member

This bothers me, as I was really looking forward to playing ESO. It was going to be the game that brings me and my friends back to playing mmos together. But with this subscription, I will not play. I'm trying to play a video game, not buy a cellphone plan. With 15 bucks I could buy a whole new game on steam every month. I cannot imagine spending that every month on one game

8. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Same here man. Glad to know that at least someone else is on my side here. The subscription model is so obsolete now. Let it die already. It's just a way for devs to keep getting money from us on a monthly basis. It's not happening guys.

This strategy will not work in 2013 when there are hoards of other great MMOs like The Divsion, The Crew and Destiny on the horizon. I am not even going to participate in the beta now since I am afraid that I might actually like that game and start paying a monthly fees for it.

9. crimsonghost747

Regular

Yep.. that's about a $1000 spent on a game. Okay, it's divided for a 6 year period but you could still buy a new pc with that money.

10. ozadin

ozadin Active Member

I have never paid monthly subscriptions on MMORPG's because I feel like I would be wasting money when in reality, I actually wouldn't. I have spent way more money on F2P MMORPG's than I have on paying for Steam games. I plan on buying a monthly subscription for ESO once that comes out though.

11. crimsonghost747

Regular

Would you mind telling us which these F2P games are?

12. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I am really embarrassed to eve admit that I spent more than $1,000 on something as generic as WoW.

I don't know why I kept playing it despite not enjoying the game all that much. Maybe because I had some really good friends in the game.

13. crimsonghost747

Regular

Don't be embarrased, you're not the only one. I know it does sound ridiculous but like I said it was for 6 years so it's not like you burned it in a week or two.

14. sushiking89

sushiking89 Active Member

Wow that is really a lot of money but I think I understand why. Once you get addicted to the game and you will feel it is not a waste to invest a little money and little by little it accumulated to a large amount of money. Only after when you got sick of that game then you will realize how much you really have invested.

15. ozadin

ozadin Active Member

Maplestory is my most noteworthy one. I'm certain I spent over $100 on the game, maybe even more considering I played the game for about 2 years. I was addicted to the cash shop and wanted the best items so I kept buying it. I quit a few years after with nothing accomplished other than money down the drain.

16. crimsonghost747

Regular

Well at least you did have a good time, no? I don't think $100 is bad at all, it's like buying 2 new games from the store.

17. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

You are a lucky dude. You only spent $100 on this it? I kept playing WoW and didn't realize that I had crossed my limits.

18. crimsonghost747

Regular

Yeah your story is quite horrible but at least you learned something from it. :)

19. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have stopped spending any money on F2P game now. I would rather it be a B2P game than this.

20. NatureSun

NatureSun Well-Known Member

Even though I rarely play the game anymore, I am still paying a monthly fee of RuneScape. I guess that's a game I can't give up that easily and since I still login from time to time I like to keep updated.