Are you religious?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rolfwar, Apr 22, 2012.

1. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

If yes,which religion do you follow?

2. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Well, yes. I am a Lutheran Protestant. I would not say I go to church every week, but if there is time, I do at least once a month. And to that, Luther himself stated, that it had nothing to do with how often you went to church, or if you gave the church a lot of money. The only thing that is important is that you believe in god.

And from a scientific point of view, I can see that there is no way god created earth, but I like the principes of christianity and the idea that someone is watching over me. Just like the cannibal in Metro 2033.

3. Nod2033

Nod2033 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes. I am, orthodox christian, but I do not follow god like other christians do, it is a little bit wierd and maybe boring so wont explain more ...

4. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Officially, I'm a Roman Catholic, but unofficially I have my own views towards God and religion as a whole.

#4 Teddy Picker, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  5. rolfwar

Regular

well,since i started the topic,i'll say that i am an atheist

6. BORIS13

BORIS13 Well-Known Member

i am an atheist as well

7. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

I dont really have a religion, I do believe in Something that is, you know, doing something

When it all comes down to it, I believe that it dosnt matter if you follow a Known Religion, but its weather you believe in something

8. rolfwar

Regular

that's a pretty fascinating statement.
    Moreover,it looks even more convincing because in your avatar you are staring at me like "I know what i am talking about" hahaha!

9. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Islam.

10. dahksinol

dahksinol Well-Known Member

I'm born and raised by a Roman Catholic family, but due to growing up in an open environment... I sometimes dislike the priests and all the other religous fanatics and all that crap. I hate it when someone shouts out, 'f*ckin' SATANIST' when they themselves are worse than said person. I also hate the prejudice that some Christians throw at Muslims, Arabs, and Non-Catholics. I hate the whole idea of 'you have to be catholic to go to heaven'. I mean, yeah, you're a catholic. You're a priest. But you're a goddamn pedophile, you freak!

I don't believe in the whole 'Religion will save you' but rather I think of it like this: You a right to choose a life to live or a life to lose. You can live like a free man, no fetters to set you down, or you can be chained up by religion, with a stick shoved up your arse, but in the end God's going to be the one to judge. Seriously, wouldn't you rather pick a helpful atheist over a snobbish christian?

What I'm saying that I believe in is it's not bad to have a religion or a belief, but its despicable when you try to enforce it on others and slaughter an butcher non-believers and 'heretics', and purposely show that you're suffering. That's why fanaticism nowadays are so much similar to 'attention-whore-ism', imo.

11. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm a traditional Roman Catholic. That means that I go to the Latin mass as it has been celebrated for the last thousand-odd years or more. In my experience, the priests I have met are intelligent, prudent, and wise. The fact that the modern church has pedophile priests (though, by no means the majority of them!), and many abuses, casts an unfortunate light on the Church. Of course, any organization will have it's bad elements, and this is not due to the organization, but the people in it. The Church itself is good, the laws it propagates are moral.

Also, I've never met a Catholic priest who goes around saying "Praise de Lawd! Say hallelujah!" and "You spawn of Satan!" I've only ever seen that kind of thing in Protestant sects. :)

#11 Von Streff, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  12. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

The Great Worm guys, We should all worship him...

But a few Catholics around here!
    But I kinda wish I was born into religion, I find the world lacking allot of the time in what to believe in, sure I hold my own Beliefs and Values, but, being dictated it is so much easier. But not Necessarily better

13. Von Streff

Regular

If a religion is true, then you should be able to choose it through rational decision, by seeing what makes sense, and discerning what doesn't make sense. The only religion I've seen which follows logic and clear morality is Catholicism. I know people who used to be Buddhist, atheist, and Protestant who rationally went through each religion, seeing the falsehoods in some, seeing the truths in others.

14. rolfwar

Regular

i wouldn't say that religions must be banned,because that would interfere with personal freedom...but i'd say that religions must be changed and be different from what we define today as "religion"

15. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

One religion's moral values may seem alien and questionable to another's.

For example "Thou shall not commit adultery" for me is a good moral value to protect the marriage between husband and wife and society as a whole. Yet today in England people find it acceptable to commit it.

People need to understand the logic behind a religion's moral values / laws and the wider implications without jumping to their own conclusions first.

Those who are born into a religion is different from those who choose to follow and practise it.

16. Strelok

Strelok Well-Known Member

Well, I'm a Protestant by birth but I'm not that religulous and I don't realy belive in god. Thoug I'm not a full atheist either and I somethimes pray albeit half hearted.

17. Skaara Dreadlocks

I'm a Jehovah's Witness. We base all of our laws and statements on the bible and we study it thoroughly to know what it really says. We believe in the bible because it has several predictions that later has happened with a great ammount of detail, just as the bible has predicted, and scientists today has actually proved that this is true.

Our main belief is that when Adam sinned, his sinn passed on to us, but Jesus Christ was sacrificed so that Adam's sin could be repayed, which later on gives us a chance to be saved from the great day when God shall bring Armagheddon, then turn earth into a paradise where there shall be no tears, not scream, no pain, no sorrow, no death etc.

The bible says that we can get there, to that paradise, by following the bible's ways in our life and never break its rules. "What about those who don't hear about the bible" you might ask? That's why the bible tells us to go and spread the message, so others may have a chance to be saved as well by living after the bible's ways. That's why you often hear about, and sometimes see, Jehovah's Witnesses deliver litterature at doorsteps and such :3

18. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Well, of course I don't know if you are Jehova's witness, but in that case, wouldn't you have to limit social activities to others of the same religion?

EDIT: Just realized that you have already crossed some of their laws. I guess this was meant as a jole -.-

#18 Darkbringer, Apr 23, 2012
  19. Skaara Dreadlocks

Nope, I'm a Jehova's Witness, but I'm only sixteen and I'm not even "baptized" yet. I'm an awful example of a Jehova's Witness, but I try, believe me. What the bible tells you to do, seems awfully boring, but it's honestly the best way to live, really. I've witnessed it myself, believe me :p

20. Von Streff

Regular

#20 Von Streff, Apr 23, 2012