Quantcast

Are you looking forward to Andromeda?

Discussion in 'Mass Effect' started by West, Jan 14, 2016.

1. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

As a massive fan of the Mass Effect trilogy, I have to admit that Andromeda isn't quite what I was looking for in a new Mass Effect game. I feel like the most compelling aspect of Mass Effect was the story and characters. I completed missions not because the gameplay was particularly fun, but because I wanted to see where the story took me, and because I wanted to see what my favorite characters would do. It's a little disappointing to think that BioWare is taking that story and those characters and just throwing them out the window. Although I'm glad that they aren't just latching on to what fans like for the sake of making money, I'm not as excited for Andromeda as I would be for a true Mass Effect 4.

What do you think? Being a BioWare game, I'm sure they will still have good roleplaying, adequate gameplay, and interesting characters and story. I am just hoping that it's able to measure up to the original trilogy, which for the most part, was a masterpiece in my opinion.

2. TheRedCap

TheRedCap Active Member Regular

Well we haven't really seen much of the game yet and are really only going on what the developers have said they planned on implementing so I guess we'll have to wait and see what the gameplay and mechanics of the game are like. As for the fact that the game takes place in another galaxy, I"m actually all for it! As controversial as the ending to Mass Effect 3 was, I feel like there isn't much more to say about those specific characters that wasn't already said in either the game, DLC expansions, or the novels. As far as we know, they might even make an appearance in Andromeda in some form or another. That being said, I'm excited to see what kind of characters, planets, aliens, etc Bioware can come up with given a blank slate to work with. This is the Mass Effect universe after all. Anything is possible.

3. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

That's true. I think that certain aspects of Mass Effect's gameplay is great (I loved mining in ME2, and the multiplayer in ME3 isn't bad), but I don't think it can be carried on gameplay alone. I feel like if the destroy ending (which many consider the "canon" ending) were referenced in Andromeda, it would be major. Shepard and the rest of the crew should be universally lauded heroes, having had completely saved the galaxy. I feel like the biggest issue that I personally had with ME3's ending was how anticlimactic it was. All of these tough decisions that you've made across an entire trilogy sum up to...a number? And that number literally determines whether your crew lives or dies? It just felt a little lame to me, that after everything, the game boiled down to "option a or option b". I think that if Andromeda completely ignores the events of the previous trilogy, that would be kind of immersion-breaking, and disappointing for fans of the series.

That being said, with the player's ability to choose what happens at the end of ME3, it would be interesting to see how something like that would be implemented...

4. mett1982

mett1982 Active Member Regular

It's going to be tough for Bioware to deliver another compelling Mass Effect game because it is so beloved by so many gamers. It's hard to think about playing Mass Effect without being Commander Shepard. But with that being said, I have faith in Bioware that they will do this new game justice. I'm not too sure that the story is based around. If it is before or after Mass Effect 3 but I think that they will do a great job tying the stories together. I'm super excited for Andromeda. Even though I want play as Shepard and the Normandy crew, I do look forward to the new world that I will be able to explore.

5. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

I'm a super fan of bioware in general and I love the dragon age series to death. Mass effect for me is just as good and I can't wait to see what Andromeda is going to be like. Is it going to be worst than the first few ones like Dragon Age? Or will it be a bigger his than it's previous ones? Only time will tell!

6. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I'm willing to give the game a shot, but no, I wouldn't say I'm super hyped for the game. I lost a bit of good will that I had towards Bioware after they failed to deliever with Mass Effect 3's ending. I'll buy the game and play it, and It'll probably be good, but I don't see myself buying it at launch.