Are there other survivors...

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Von Streff, Sep 8, 2011.

?

Are there other survivors out there?

1. Yes, there definitley are

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Maybe, somewhere

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Nope. Only those in the Moscow Metro survived

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Somewhere in the world, are there other survivors? I mean, in the book there are guys in nuclear subs which can stay submerged for 2 years. Of course, not all metros go as deep as Moscow's. What are your thoughts?

2. Oxotnik

Oxotnik Active Member

Well I have not read metro 2033 and metro 2034. Because I do not know Russian very well ( I know English better but as good to read whole book, also in my country in bookshops is not any version of book metro 2033 so....) but I think there will be someone who would survive. I mean somebody. There would be some bunkers or other things like shelters and they would survive.... But I do not know.... At last I marked last one... I do not know why

3. RedJacketMan

RedJacketMan Well-Known Member

Perhaps there were some places in the world that were figured to be not worth nuking?

4. Ashtrax

Ashtrax Well-Known Member

Well there's mention of a new book being written under the guidance of the original metro author but actually written by a British writer, this book is based on the London underground. The London underground was already populated by people during the blitz in the second world war. I feel that there would be very few places escaping not just direct hits by warheads but the fallout which would most likely be global. If anyones interested in books of a similar nature I read, and highly recommend, 'Down To A Sunless Sea'. I forget the author but its a difficult book to get hold of! If I remember the author I'll post!

5. Oxotnik

Oxotnik Active Member

David Graham ?

6. Ashtrax

7. Ashtrax

Also outside the Moscow Metro there was talk of another system, in Sevastopol I think it was. But there are going to be several other locations where there is possibility of life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems

imo the best possibilities for life are (1) London underground, (2) New York subway (3) Tokyo Metro.

8. Von Streff

Regular

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out. And yeah, I guess there might be places not worth nuking, like Antarctica or Australia (both barren tracts of land, so few people live there anyway!)

9. Ashtrax

Mad Max might have something to say about that :p but yeah its a serious point. Somewhere like Oz could survive virtually intact or at least the interior would. I don't know enough about radiation but its likely that most places would be affected by radiation to some degree but I like the idea that the outback might be somewhere where life continues almost normally.

One of the conversations in the book centres around where's hit and they do say Siberia was largely left alone. God knows what warped animals you could see up there.

I always like to imagine that islands would be the key remnants of civilisation. Many places have the local knowledge of old hunting/fishing/farming methods and have survived centuries without interference until modern day. St Kilda is a good example though it was abandoned recently. I could talk about possibilities like this for hours!

10. lolinski

lolinski Well-Known Member

I think there are definately survivors because many people have fallout shelters in their basements maybe they formed colonies and etc.

11. Von Streff

Regular

Ha ha, yes. The islands would be good, and what about the Amazon? Imagine a post-nuclear war jungle game, where mutant gorillas, panthers, snakes, and parrots attack you! Now that is a game I would play.

12. Ashtrax

Lol yeah I guess different places wud be weirder than others! I think Russia has a reasonable number of large animals like bears etc so im guessing the woods outside Moscow would be an 'interesting' place to venture into. Ive always wanted to see what the Arctic looks like...or even how water creatures have ended up.

13. lolinski

lolinski Well-Known Member

Dont give the game devs the idea: Metro Last Light Again Just This Time Its In The Jungle, Wait A Sec There Arent Metros There. That would be a long title, though

14. vapera

vapera Well-Known Member

I hardly think fallout shelters would be practical, they would of died by now
    ran out of food or gone mad or something.
    Maybe the people in hawaii survived, untouched :D

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I sure damn hope so! :p I haven't read the book yet (although I will soon), but the game makes it very mysterious. I think it is best this way, that this question remains unanswered and we either never or very rarely meet other survivors in the sequel - definitely not in groups.

16. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

i think that there should be other people because i mean 7 billion people there are bound to be at least one other person!

17. BORIS13

BORIS13 Well-Known Member

i think they will keep it a secret from us in order to keep the mystery. however the metro universe books say that there are survivors in the st petersburg metro, london metro, novosibirsk metro, arctic tundra, etc. etc. etc..

18. Skaara Dreadlocks

I don't even know the backstory of Metro. I thought it was only Russia or something that was nuked.. :p

19. craneum123

craneum123 Well-Known Member

Yay, people survived in the Uk :D

20. Von Streff

Regular

Well, those guys in the nuclear-proof tank survived for awhile, and then there are the nuclear subs which can go underwater for three years (was it three years?). So yeah, people could have survived.