Quantcast

Apparently there are dogs in the game

Discussion in 'The Division' started by Ishmael, Oct 23, 2015.

1. igasmurfa

igasmurfa Member Regular

Hopefully it's also a bit smarter and less suicidal than Dogmeat from Fallout

2. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

Fable 2 had a dog companion and it was awesome. I'm also a big fan of dogs in games, and always take the time to pet the dogs in Assassin's Creed, haha. Whether it's just an extra or they can actually be a companion, I'm all for their inclusion in the game. Pretty cool! :)

3. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

It will probably be underutilized, but still nice to have.

4. Cyborg Superman

Well other than barking and maybe attacking/distracting enemies, that's about all a dog could do. I guess you could strap a harness on a dog and have them carry stuff too...

What did you have in mind in terms of them fully utilizing dogs?

5. Nah look at dogmeat in fallout, dude doesn't die.

6. Cyborg Superman

Yeah, and the dog doesn't necessarily die in Fable 2 either... That's all I'll say about that. I don't think that just because you have a dog companion, they'll automatically have it die. It doesn't feel like that kind of game.

7. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member Regular

Oh man, I totally forgot about having the dog companion in Fable 2(wasn't there also one in Fable 3, or am I just getting confused now? It's been a while) Brings back memories, haha. Although, I feel like there could have been more options for it. Fallout, however, I haven't played so maybe they've taken that kind of thing farther since Fable 2... I would hope so...

8. Cyborg Superman

I've never played Fable 3 so I couldn't tell you, but I did like having my dog companion a lot in Fable 2. I don't know if The Division's purpose is the same as Fable 2 in terms of animal interaction (the dog in Fable 2 was very much a major part of the story) so I don't expect for them to really pull all of the stops in terms of how the dog will interact with enemies or your character.

9. Maelalove

I'm almost positive that there was, and that it was a similar part, although I don't remember Fable 2 well enough to say I fully remember the dog's part in the game. I feel like for this game though, it would be similar to Fallout 4(could be wrong here, haven't played Fallout 4 so I'm grabbing straws based on what it looks like to me). It seems more of a companion that could help you fight, that you may grow attached to and almost become like a family for you.

10. Cyborg Superman

Yeah, the dog is definitely a major character. It helps you with enemies and stuff but mostly it just runs around with you, which is fun. You can even play catch. I don't think we'll be able to play catch with the dogs in the Division... lol.

11. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

I guess I would want some proper interaction with the dog, maybe playing with it etc.

12. Cyborg Superman

Well, you can pet dogs in Assassin's Creed and play fetch with your dog in Fable 2, so I'm guessing it'll be in the same type of levels of interaction. You might be in luck, is what I'm saying. :)

13. igasmurfa

igasmurfa Member Regular

No way, you're going to get trapped under rubble and have to eat the dog to survive.

14. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

The dog in Fable 2 was like an extension of your own character. He was soooo useful! I don't think it'll be anything like that in The Division, because if they had put that much work on it like Lionhead Studios did for the Fable 2 dog then we would have heard it by now in some video or some article online. :p

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  15. Maelalove

Hey, you never know. A lot of game companies now days like making little details here and there, just to give a nice feel to the game. I feel like it would be a nice contrast, actually. Considering how dark of a world it is in The Division, it might actually be a really nice touch for your character to do something as simple and as innocent as playing fetch with your dog. I guess we'll have to see.

16. Cyborg Superman

Haha, that would be brutal.

It could be a surprise they're reserving for us... But I doubt it too. Like @Ishmael said, we probably would have heard about it. So far the only place I've heard about this dog thing is here, lol.

17. Maelalove

That's true, maybe it's just interactable, like other things, or something like that. I guess it isn't going to be a big part of the gameplay, so you probably can't get a pet or anything or have it fight for you. If you can, it won't last long. Well that stinks :[

18. Cyborg Superman

They should add more animals, like a parrot that can hang on your shoulder and retrieve items, or you can break into a zoo and ride an elephant through the streets of New York... That'd be pretty cool... But maybe doesn't fit that well in a serious game like The Division... That sounds more like something Saints Row would do, lol.

19. Maelalove

Hahahah, yea you kind of lost me at the whole Elephant thing. Definitely don't feel like that's for this game at all. I'm sure there's little interactions that could be implemented, though. Although I also feel like a parrot is a bit of an odd placement, too... I feel like maybe scavenger animals though, might be a better idea. It would make sense in this kind of story.

20. Cyborg Superman

Hahaha yeah I was kind of joking on those. Other than the usefulness of a dog, I don't really see any other animals being really appropriate or fit the setting without making it look goofy (like the elephant or parrot). You could include rats or raccoon I guess, but there's no way for your character to really control those.