Quantcast

Any Good Broswer RPGs?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by sorrowscall, May 2, 2015.

1. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

Lately, I've been doing stuff whenever I can, but until my computer is fixed, I can't get on stuff like Steam or download any more MMO's. As anyone might notice, it puts a real downer on a person who loves to game. I'd like a good 2-d MMO that's played via a browser and requires no download. I know there are the kiddy games, but I'm not interested in those. Also, please refrain from mentioning MMO's that you have to download in order to play via a browser; those are also out; I'm also not sure they exist.

2. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I think you're out of luck. For that criteria, I've never found a browser-based RPG that's worth playing for more than a few minutes. For some quick, mindless fun, you might try Sonny 1 and 2 or The Last Stand zombie games. They all have RPG elements (at least the later Last Stand games do).

3. sorrowscall

No. I'm looking for actual RPG browser games. I know they exist, as I've played a few before. Unfortunately, what I'm looking for now is something a bit more than what those had to offer; though when younger I did like AdventureQuest Worlds, so a more mature version of that would be nice.

Working Buck and troutski like this.
  4. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Oh, you mean an actual, bona fide RPG rather than just a simple flash game, mini-RPG. I'm not going to lie, now I've got nothing. :confused:

5. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Browser-based RPG? Even if it existed, I wouldn't think it is something worthwhile of playing. The performance, graphics would be really lesser than what you can find now, just by taking 10 minutes of your time to install the game on your computer.
    Browsers aren't made to handle resource-demanding games.

6. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

I've heard decent things about Drakensang Online, I think that's in-browser game. Other than that, the only thing that I can think of is running Bastion in Chrome.

7. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Active Member

I would be remiss without suggesting KingdomOfLoathing.com, but that may not be what you're looking for.

+1 for Drakensang Online (http://www.drakensang.com), also Runescape (http://www.runescape.com) is still around.

You may also like Dead Frontier (http://www.deadfrontier.com) if you're in to zombies, or City of Steam (http://www.cityofsteam.com) for your steampunk fix. :)

They can't handle something like Crysis, sure - but you'd be surprised what a browser can do these days. Flash was more of the issue with browser-based games in the past - now that Flash is finally dying, there's a lot more possibilities.

8. sorrowscall

You're right. Kingdom of Loathing is definitely not my type of game. However, I know of a friend whom would simply adore this game so I thank you for it's suggestion. I'm not a fan of Runescape for my own silly reasons, though it is a good game. I already had City of Steam but I believe I had to download something to play it on my other computer. Drakensong does seem to be a bit up my alley though so I will defintely give it a good look.

9. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Well it can handle full games now, so I wouldn't be surprised if i could run Crysis soon.

Also, another thing I came up for OP, what about playing old DOS RPGs thru browser DosBox?

10. summerforest

summerforest Member

If you like old console games, there are a lot of full-fledged emulators that can be run through a browser. I don't know how well they work as I emulate with downloaded programs, but I know at the very least theres SNES and NES emulators that can be played in a browser. From a quick Google it looks like some other classic consoles and handhelds are supported. There are plenty of classic Japanese RPGs for these old systems that should work fine on an emulator.

11. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

I played AdventureQuest when I was younger too they have a new game now called MechQuest. Like browser games? then you'll enjoy dragon fable.

12. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member Regular

Mofunzone.com or retrogamer.com have a lot of 2d games you can play straight from their site no download required.

13. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

Runescape! The classic!

14. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

I have only played Runescape as a browser based RPG game although there would be a plenty of other ones.

15. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member Regular

Hmm, browser RPGs? I think you're really out of luck there as well. It's already quite hard to optimize a standalone game as is, but implement it into a browser AND expect it to work like a traditional one? I don't think you could find something as you're describing, but good luck!

16. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

That's what I'm doing, especially when it comes to SNES Japanese roms that have translation patches so you can actually understand them. I'm currently playing Shin Megami Tensei but a couple of months ago, I was playing a game called Adventures of Hourai High. It was like Earthbound except instead of psychic powers, you would join school clubs to gain abilities to fight enemies like other students, dudes in penguin suits and sewer demons in a quest to stop a cult from taking over the school by using mystical school supplies.

Why yes, I was being completely serious when I said all of that.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I've been looking for one as well, can't seem to find it. I'm sick of Runescape since I played it too much, so that's not an option for me. Hopefully we can find something! :D

18. Feels Bard Man

Feels Bard Man Active Member Regular

I have only tried a few and Runescape still stands out as the best. Adventure Quest might work for those who are younger as the graphics are very appealing, though the gameplay is much less complex than Runescape and the game is obviously targeted for kids.

19. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member Regular

Your options may be limited, but that doesn't mean you can't find good RPG on the web.
    - Drakensang, Kingdom of Loathing like others have mention.
    - Realm of the Mad God: rougelike bullethell MMORPG, you gain access and progress by unlocking different class after each death.
    - Fallen London: a steampunk MMORPG, precursor for the game "Sunless Sea" (which is very good btw).
    - Adventure Quest: if this is your thing, there's a kickstarter campaign for a 3d version of the game, so maybe keep an eye on that.

20. abboxyz

abboxyz New Member

Lords Mobile Bot