Answers to your Last Light questions direct from THQ & 4A Games

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by THQvagrantscout, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THQvagrantscout

THQvagrantscout Well-Known Member

Answer Set for August 21, 2012

As always, these answers are straight from the development team at 4A Games and are direct answers to your questions posted at http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=593.

For more information about Metro: Last Light, make sure to LIKE us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame.

Enjoy!

Member: Jalais
    Q: In a previous answer you mentioned that a weapon jamming could cause Artyom to swear profusely. Does this mean he might be speaking outside of cut-scenes?
    A: Ha, that was more an expression than a clue. Artyom might utter expletives / noises in exceptional circumstances (players of Metro 2033 will surely remember the moment he is almost crushed by the mine cart), but we do not have plans for Artyom to talk in Metro: Last Light.

Member: поражение
    Q: In the E3 2012 gameplay footage, I saw that some of the weapon reloads were unbelievably quick. As the Metro franchise is aimed at realism, the character reload seemed too quick to achieve this aim. Are these features set as shown or are they still being tweaked?
    A: Everything you see is work in progress, but we have sped up some animations to reflect Artyom's new found experience given he is now a member of the Order of Rangers.

Member: Cheaptricks
    Q: How will the difficulties be this time around? Can we expect to see additional settings more difficult than Ranger Hardcore? I would like to be challenged even more so than in Ranger Hardcore considering the ease of which I can complete the game now (I can run the game from start to end with a basic revolver).
    A: We intend to provide a range of difficulty options, including a revised Ranger Mode, to cater for lots of different skill levels while still offering a substantial challenge to expert players.

2. THQvagrantscout

Answer Set for August 28, 2012

As always, these answers are straight from the development team at 4A Games and are direct answers to your questions posted at http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=593.

For more information about Metro: Last Light, make sure to LIKE us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame.

Enjoy!

Member: Paradigm-Spirit
    Q1: Will there be new mutants in Metro: Last Light and will they convey a bigger threat to the citizens in the Metro?
    A1: We have a number of new mutant types, including some much larger mutants which represent a very deadly challenge ... we gave you a sneak peak at one of these in our E3 2011 gameplay demo.
    Q2: Did the nuclear strike on the Dark Ones damage the Metro or cause tectonic instability that a player will need to deal with in Metro: Last Light?
    A2: Short answer – no!

Member: aaronpoitras
    Q: In Metro 2033, the air pressure in the ball bearing rifle dropped very quickly. Will this be slowed in Metro: Last Light (as demonstrated in the E3 2012 gameplay)?
    A: As with most weapon-related questions, all these factors are still work in progress and will be tweaked as we focus on balancing the game.

Member: jayster288
    Q: Will you be adding any customization to the characters? I would very much enjoy being able to piece together my own outfit.
    A: We don't intend to make this a feature at present.

3. THQvagrantscout

Answer Set for September 4, 2012

Hey everyone...just a reminder to keep the good questions coming! The more quality questions you provide at http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=593 the more answers we can supply. If you need some inspiration, check out the Metro Wiki at http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Metro_Wiki.

As always, these answers are straight from the development team at 4A Games...Enjoy!

Member: Fantax
    Q: Will there be any new atmospheric "tasks" like in Metro 2033? For example, charging lights and other electronics, checking your watch for time left of the filter, pumping your pneumatic guns, etc. I know you've shown us the animation of wiping clean the gas mask, but will there be any other new actions?
    A: The mask wipe mechanic is the most substantial new addition in this area. Another new feature is the ability to hold the lighter with one hand and weapon with the other.

Member: majnu
    Q1: In Metro 2033, shutting off values or switches were a bit of a mystery as to what they did. Will the results of these actions remain vague or will they be better explained / more demonstrative in Metro: Last Light?
    A1: We intend to make the consequences of flicking switches more apparent and we've increased the role of this mechanic.
    Q2: Will you be able to purchase more than 2 types of suits (i.e. armor) in Metro: Last Light?
    A2: We're still tweaking this feature. More to follow.
    Q3: Can items of clothing be bought from Market Traders in more than one station?
    A3: Again, we're still working on balancing the game and this will determine what can be purchased where and when.
    Q4: Can items of clothing be taken from corpses if Artyom wants to upgrade / repair his own armor?
    A4: Apart from Night Vision, you will not be able to loot corpses for armor / suits at present.

4. THQvagrantscout

Answer Set for September 11, 2012

Enjoy!

Member: IL DUCE
    Q: Will there be more armor/gear customization elements, custom weapon builds, and weapon attachments?
    A: Yes! We've made quite a few changes to our weapon trading / upgrading mechanics that we'll be showing in more detail before release.

Member: Teddy Picker
    Q: Will enemy NPCs use a more diverse arsenal of weapons in Metro: Last Light? Only one ever used a VSV and all of the rest used Bastards and the Kalash (or the Uboinik). Will any enemies be seen wielding revolvers, or the Tihar, perhaps?
    A: You'll see enemies using a broader variety of weapons this time around. But remember, we do need to be mindful of the bullet economy and not ruin this by giving enemies too valuable weapons too soon in the game...

Member: El_Pepe
    Q: In most games, you rarely if ever see NPCs run out of ammunition. Will enemies and friendlies run out of bullets in Metro: Last Light? Maybe this can be something that is worked into Ranger Hardcore (or whatever the development team names the "badass" mode M:LL)?
    A: This is one of those ideas that we considered in the interest of "realism" but when implemented on a test basis didn't actually lead to fun gameplay within the combat experience we wanted to deliver. That's not to say it wouldn't work at all, just that it didn't really fit with the feel of the combat we wanted to create for Metro: Last Light. Of course, enemies do need to reload frequently and you can use this to your advantage in combat.

5. THQvagrantscout

Answer Set for September 18, 2012

Programming note: I will be out of the country and away from all electronics for a couple weeks...this means no answer set will be posted on Tuesday 9/25. But have no fear my faithful Metro dwellers...I will come back with new posts in October.

In the meantime, here is an answer set for you to mull over in my absence. As always, these answers are straight from the development team at 4A Games and are direct answers to your questions posted at http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=593.

Enjoy!

Joe @ THQ

Member: TheJollyRedRanger
    Q: Will additional pre-war weapons be included in Last Light, including an RPK, RPK-74, or RPD? I think a LMG besides the Gatling gun would be great! I do think a RPK should be included because it was Artyom's first gun used in the book plus it be a great way to have a support weapon to lay down some higher firepower (Think of a AK-74 with a larger magazine and a little more damage) and that would AWESOME!
    A: We've added greatly to the weapon set in Metro: Last Light, albeit focusing more on hand-built weaponry, but we have added a few pre - apocalypse guns as well. More specific details to follow in the upcoming months.

Member: Cheaptricks
    Q: Will there be fully dynamic lighting / shadowing? I noticed that in Metro 2033 Artyom has no shadow.
    A: Our lighting model is 100% dynamic, and we can exclusively reveal that yes, Artyom does cast a shadow in Metro Last Light.

Member: straytor
    Q: How about Metro franchise on Linux? Valve is serious in porting Steam to Linux and a game like this would be truly exotic and payback-y.
    A: No current plans, and too early to say if it's something we would could ever do – sorry!

Member: BORIS12
    Q: In Last Light will you be able to use other gear and items such as holding a flashlight, picking up objects in an environment, etc?
    A: We don't allow you to pick up and manipulate / use objects in Metro: Last Light, although there are plenty of fixed objects you can interact with (e.g. switches, lights. levers). Of course you have plenty of secondary items in your inventory that you can pull out and use – the lighter (which can now be drawn independently) and journal, charger, and a wider variety of secondary weaponry including hand-made claymores.

#25 THQvagrantscout, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  6. THQvagrantscout

Answer Set for October 2, 2012

Hello everyone, I am back from holiday with a new answer set for your reading enjoyment. Just a short one today as I am buried catching up on a multitude of Metro related information, but more to come very soon!

Enjoy!

Member: Beebopa
    Q: In Metro: Last Light will we sometimes see other NPCs interacting with one another? In Metro 2033 it was very much "walk around with one guy, lose them and find another" to the point where it felt like a guided tour. I would love to see what would happen if Khan ran into Ulman for example. Will this be in the next game?
    A: Metro: Last Light has a more complex story than 2033 and we have a larger cast of significant NPCs who you will see interact with each other throughout the storyline.

Member: majnu
    Q: Will the Journal that Artyom carries which shows the compass and objectives be improved upon both in terms of aesthetics and use? For example:
    - Page one could show the compass, list of objectives, and tips (to be disabled in Hardcore)
    - Page two could be a collection of bio unlocks you have collected while playing the game
    - Page three could be details about your current arsenal and the stats for each weapon
    - Page four could include map, routes, station information
    - Page five could hold the achievements list
    Are there any plans to build out the journal functionality to include anything like the above?
    A: Lots of good ideas there. We are already looking at how to make the journal more interactive, and we'll share these ideas with you here in the future.

7. THQvagrantscout

Answer Set for October 9, 2012

Just a reminder to post your questions at http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=593. I can't keep this thread going without your thoughtful and intelligent questions to pose to the development team so please keep posting yours. If you need any ammo, check out the cover story in the October 2012 edition of Game Informer...some nice hints and tidbits in there ;)

Enjoy!

Member: Hoenkoper
    Q1: In Metro 2033, the heavy automatic shotgun was really overpowered. In my opinion, it didn't fit in the world of Metro where every fight was really tense and you needed every bullet to survive. For example, the part with the Liberians was super easy with it. Does it makes it return in Metro: Last Light and, if so, will the mechanics be tweaked so it is not so powerful?
    A1: We understand concerns over powerful weapons like the Heavy Automatic Shotgun and Gatling Gun, and part of the balancing process is to ensure that they are not over-powered (usually by controlling how and where they can be used rather than limiting their actual combat effectiveness).
    Q2: Will there be moments in the game where you lose all your weapons, ammo, and equipment and are forced to battle to regain your supplies?
    A2: Like Metroid? Wait and see… ;¬)

Member: VanillaToshi
    Q: Will the stealth sections of Metro: Last Light be more obvious or will they be as difficult and challenging as the ones in Metro: 2033? Any info you could provide about the stealth missions would be great as they were the best part of Metro 2033 IMO.
    A: We don't ever try to force one approach – direct or stealth - on the player. Instead we design our environments and enemy placement in such a way so the player can choose which tactics they want to use, and feel rewarded for executing them well. We'll be showing an example of this in the not too distant future, so stay tuned.

Member: epelle1967
    Q: Will shotguns have iron sights this time around? This is something I found lacking in Metro 2033.
    A: As of now, the basic Duplet shotgun does not use an iron sight (instead is has a secondary fire mode that fires both barrels) but the Automatic Shotgun now has an iron sight / fine aim function.

8. THQvagrantscout

Answer Set for December 4, 2012

Hello everyone! I hope you have been enjoying the Survivors series of live-action trailers that we have been releasing over the past couple weeks ... we will have even more new content in the weeks before Christmas so make sure to check out the official website and the Facebook page for updates.

Following our recent Q&A hiatus, I have all-new answer sets lined up to release over the next few weeks. This set highlights questions from community member Remer ... intelligent questions for an intelligent game!

Enjoy!

Member: Remer
    Q1: Will there be a lot of references to the storyline from Metro 2033?
    A1: Yes, there will be references to Metro 2033 and of course a number of returning characters! We are trying to strike a balance of rewarding those who played the first game, without making it too confusing for newcomers to the series.
    Q2: In Metro 2033, a big theme was man's ignorance, depression, anger, and stupidity. Will there be a lot of philosophical elements in Metro: Last Light as well?
    A2: The storyline of Metro 2033 was underpinned by a mixture of political allegory and philosophical themes, and we feel this additional layer of meaning is one of the advantages of working with an author of Dmitry's caliber. You can expect the story of Metro: Last Light to explore a range of similar themes.
    Q3: Some aspects of the novel were left out of the original game, like the mutant savages and so on. Will we see any references to the original book?
    A3: Yes, you'll pick up a few references to events from the book, mainly through incidental conversations, many of which are lifted from Metro 2033 the novel or penned specifically for Metro: Last Light by Dmitry.
    Q4: What are some of the major graphical additions you guys are putting into Metro: Last Light? Can you provide some specific details?
    A4: We'll go into technical detail on the visual advancements we've made to the engine and game a little closer to launch. Suffice to say – it looks better!
    Q5: I found that 2033 was the best looking game for 3D and the graphics were amazing. I'd love to see more PhysX support! How closely are you guys working with NVIDIA this time around?
    A5: Again, we'll talk more about the work we’re doing with NVIDIA closer to release. And yes, we are working very closely with them again to support dedicated NVIDIA features such as 3D Vision.

#28 THQvagrantscout, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  9. THQvagrantscout

Answer Set for December 11, 2012

Pretty hectic day for us in the office with the drop of our "Genesis" gameplay trailer and our Metro 2033 PC giveaway...if you haven't seen details of either, make sure to head over to our website at www.EnterTheMetro.com.

Enjoy!

Member: vitormaduro
    Q1: Will we be able to aim down the sights with guns like the Volt Driver and the Duplet?
    A1: The Duplet has a unique alternate firing mechanism instead of fine aim – you unload both barrels. Some of our shotguns allow iron sighting and even attached sights, but it's honestly kind of unnecessary because it's not a weapon you really need to finely aim! The Volt Driver is not in the game at the moment.
    Q2: Will enemy NPCs have a better reaction to lights being turned on/off near them?
    A2: Yes - AI will typically investigate lights being switched off / shot out.

Member: Thestalker
    Q1: Will the change in mutant appearance from the first game to the next be described in the story? I.E. the radiation caused even more mutations.
    A1: No, the change in appearance of our returning mutants was more an art decision rather than something explained by the fiction.
    Q2: Will the game feature more/better mod support?
    A2: We have discussed releasing tools. There's just a lot of work involved to clean them up for public use. We can’t commit to anything at the moment sorry!
    Q3: Will there be more graphic options than 2033? Can you detail these?
    A3: Too early to say – it's something we’ll look at in the final stage of development.
    Q4: You mentioned previously that gun play / mechanics have been improved. Can you detail how?
    A4: We'll offer more detail on this subject in upcoming previews / video features.

10. THQvagrantscout

Answer Set for December 18, 2012

Just a quick answer set today.

Enjoy!

Member: Manju
    Q1: Now that multiplayer will not be part of the game, what will the single player campaign offer in terms of replay value outside of various difficult modes?
    A1: We're working hard to ensure that there will be rewards for re-playing the game, but fundamentally there are more levels that can be approached in a wider variety of ways that lend a lot of organic re-playability to the game.
    Q2: Will Metro: Last Light have Windows 8 support?
    A2: Yes.
    Q3: The watch from Metro 2033 included red / amber / green indicators which showed the characters level of stealth. Now that Artyom has a new watch to monitor the duration of his air supply, how will the game show a player's stealth level? Is there a new stealth meter?
    A3: Artyom's watch now shows whether you are in light or not – a blue indicator light shows when you can be seen. It's a much more intuitive, consistent mechanic that allows the player to better plan stealth based strategies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.