Aliens vs Predator (2000) available for free

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

GOG.com are giving away Aliens vs Predator (the classic PC game from the year 1999) for a limited time only. This is actually the "classsic 2000" edition of the game. Unlike with previous giveaways on GOG, this one is conditional; in order to receive your code for a DRM-free copy of this game, you have to sign up to the beta test of GOG Galaxy. This suits me, since I've been waiting to check out Galaxy anyway. Also, AvP 2 (the sequel from 2001) is probably my favourite game of all time. I used to play the first one's multiplayer with my brother, but I never tried the singleplayer so this will be a good opportunity. It's going to be interesting to see how it stacks up against AvP 2.

For those interested, here is the link: http://www.gog.com/news/giveaway_aliens_vs_predator_classic_2000

2. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I' have played AVP 1999 when I was young -about six or seven- and it crept me out. Of course, now, there are much scarier games than those from the 90s and my tolerance for what makes me jump in games has grown since then, but it is still a game that I think upon once in a while. Out of the three campaigns that there are -Alien, Marine, Predator- marine was the scariest and predator the most fun -at least for me. Alien, well, I never actually finished the campaign for some reason, so I can not elaborate on that one.

At the end of each campaign and if you have finished all of its levels on Director's Cut difficulty, it will unlock a bonus level at the end in which you fight either as a marine, predator, or alien against the other two species according to what campaign you are on. It's sort of like multiplayer, except with the computer, and you get to revisit the levels that you got to play in as every specie; so it is pretty cool to see everything come together in one place (I know, I explained it weird).

I also have AVP 2, but I have yet to play it. I'm not sure in AVP 2, but at least in the first one, the aliens/predators/marines will attack you all at once rather than one at a time like in AVP 2010. That's one big thing 2010 was missing.

Overall, I thought it is a good game (and the pulse rifle, dual pistols, and the smart gun are my favorite to use as a marine in that game).