Quantcast

Action RPG or Turnbased RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by jbeavis100, Dec 21, 2013.

1. tubestud

tubestud Well-Known Member Regular

Big Diablo fan here. Action RPGs for me. Though I wouldn't pass on the RPGs with a "Pause" mechanic. Like Dragon Age. I think those are the best of both worlds. Time to plan strategy, combined with a smooth experience.

2. Dame6089

Dame6089 Active Member

I generally prefer turn based RPGs though I have some experience with action based games like Kingdom Heart. For me, I prefer to have the time to plan out my moves and create a strategy. I am not saying that strategy isn't possible in action based games, but I am just more comfortable in turn based games.

3. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I enjoy the action ones more as you have better control and can decide where you or your party members should be in the fight and is exciting as well and can do any move you want or use a different weapon. White Knight Chronicles has a turn- based battle system and sometimes the enemy can hit you from far away,yet you have to be nearby to do that and have to watch the screen and hope you have enough health to win the fight. The turn based games can require more concentration than the action ones as you know what you can do and have more control of how much damage your character will inflict in the action ones.

4. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I enjoy the action ones more as you have better control and can decide where you or your party members should be in the fight and is exciting as well and can do any move you want or use a different weapon. White Knight Chronicles has a turn- based battle system and sometimes the enemy can hit you from far away,yet you have to be nearby to do that and have to watch the screen and hope you have enough health to win the fight. The turn based games can require more concentration than the action ones as you know what you can do and have more control of how much damage your character will inflict in the action ones.

5. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member Regular

Despite what others say, turn-based RPG's are quite lively, but unfortunately they hit a much smaller market, and thus it's harder for them to grow into something more, where-as action-based RPG's have the chance to grow into something so much bigger with a gigantic budget to spend, so think of it in a case of A Mom and Pop store, trying to compete with Walmart. It's not a very realistic goal, and it's why games like COD get many different versions while the unique indie games tend to dry up and disappear. It's not a fair system, but the benefit usually means you can get those indie games significantly cheaper which offer a more fulfilling experience than any action-based ones will to me, at least. Not to say action-based ones such as the ones like Final Fantasy are bad, I just prefer the turn-based ones much more and they usually have a deeper story-line, which is definitely appealing!

6. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I like turn-based RPGs since I can take my time and plan out my strategy on dealing with an enemy, especially if they are a tough boss. I only really enjoy action RPGs if I'm able to watch my character totally curbstomp an enemy due to the fact that I over-leveled them in combat.

7. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

I like both; I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other. I don't choose games based on battle mechanics though most of the time; of course great battle mechanics are a plus in any game, but what is more important to me is the quality of the story. An awesome game will still be awesome to me regardless of if it is turn-based for battles or action-based.

Some of my favorite RPGs are turn based; Pokemon, Persona, etc.
    But I also have plenty of favorite action based - Rune Factory, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts...
    There's good in both types. :)

8. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member Regular

I usually prefer action based (like Kingdom Hearts) though Pokemon is an exception to the rule!

9. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

I like both kinds. Turn based RPGs like Fire Emblem and Pokemon are some of my favorite games. I also really enjoy action RPGs like Skyrim and Runescape.

10. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer a more involved type of RPG. If I wanted to play a turned based RPG I'd probably just stick with chess. Also I think TB RPG's are more targeted towards mobile devices rather than consoles.

11. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I would say, they are targeted more towards PCs then consoles. It is true, that you cannot really play a tactical RPG on consoles with a controller, but it is really easy to play said game with a keyboard and mouse setup.

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I like action based rpgs. For some reason, turn based ones just sort of bore me. Not sure why though.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I never liked turn based rpgs, they seem so boring and the gameplay is generic. If I want something like that I can build myself a simulator that does just that, it just isn't fun. Action-based RPGs are definitely my favorite.

14. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

Well it's turn based, I'm not sure how most TB games go but the ones I've played before actually plays like a chess game more than anything. You make your move and then wait for the other player, which I think makes sense to play on a mobile or something. Of course the keyboard is great with that but since most RPG's now rely on actually action rather than waiting for turns.

15. Necrotica

Necrotica Active Member Regular

I'm definitely more of a turn-based fan. Action RPGs are fun, but I'd rather be more systematic and strategic with my methods of play. That's one of the reasons I liked Final Fantasy X's combat so much.

16. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

The gameplay in TB RPGs is not really generic, as it is more like tactical. You have to stop and think out your strategy before engaging in a fight. I can see that it might turn off many people, because most of the time, people just want to jump into a game and have over the top action. But this strategy element added to an RPG is exactly what I like about TBRPGs.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I can see where you're coming from though, if I see things from your point of view turn-based games seem really nice. I just like to jump right into the action.

18. Ram Levy

Ram Levy Well-Known Member Regular

I used to like turnbased more, but over the years I think action RPG's became a lot better.

19. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I'm finding myself gravitate action RPG's more and more. I like being in direct control of everything that is happening in a battle, rather than simply picking options from a menu. I'm still a fan of turnbased games, but as time goes on, I find myself enjoying them less and less.

20. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer action. I only prefer turn based for strategy games. RPGs, in my opinion, should be fluid.