Quantcast

Action RPG or Turnbased RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by jbeavis100, Dec 21, 2013.

1. forte210392

forte210392 Active Member

Both styles have their merits, but I still prefer action RPGs. They give you a higher sense of being in control of the game, with real time reaction being required. That being said, I do enjoy Pokemon and the Final Fantasy Series.

2. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer turn based ones. They give me time to think, and plot the best strategies for a fight. The system used in Dragon Age or the Baldur`s Gate series is a prime example of this. You could pause at any time, issue orders, and then let your strategies come to fruition. They used a semi-turn based model which works even in today`s modern games.

3. Catalyst64

Catalyst64 Well-Known Member

I have tried several turn-based games, but action RPGs are so much better. I haven't really seen a good turn-based game these years, but if a good one comes out, I will necessarily play it.

4. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Well-Known Member

FFXIII's blend of action and turn-based RPG was pretty good, but when it comes down to it, I'd say action RPG all the way. Just a great sense of flow that comes with the mechanic.

5. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I love both turn-based and action RPG. I think the problem with some action RPGs, though, is that they sometimes devolve into mindless button mashing. So the action RPGs I love are the ones like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma, with deep, awesome battle systems.

Funnily enough, Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma are the RPGs I consider to have been some of the best of the PS3/360 generation.

6. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Well-Known Member

I was never a fan of turn base games, that's why I stopped playing RPG for awhile. I'm glad most of them have action somewhere within the game play. It's just boring without it if you ask me.

7. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer turn based a little more because I can get up and wander off for a bit and not worry about the game. There are days where I'm constantly interrupted during playing because so and so wants my attention, something happens, ect. Action based is a lot of fun and more control, but I can't pause in order to deal with something immediately. I enjoy action more when I have lots of time where I can be uninterrupted.

8. I personally much prefer action-RPGs to turn-based RPGs because they're far more engaging and entertaining. Action-RPGs combine the elements of action and RPG games and blend together perfectly. A couple of good Action RPGs that I've played before are Skyrim, Fallout and Super Mario RPG: Super Star Saga. The only turn-based RPG I've played and enjoyed is Pokemon. I don't see what all the hype is about Final Fantasy and the Golden Sun series, just seems really boring to me.

9. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I like both. There are still some exciting things you can do with turn-based RPGs if you tweak the regular formula a little bit. They're less common than in the past, but I'll still give one a shot if it seems interesting enough.

10. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

Its kind of odd, I liked the Turn-Based JRPGs and hate the action ones, but otherwise I'm mostly an action RPG gamer with the exception of Spiderweb software games. Some of my favorite Action RPG games include Diablo 1 & 2, Torchlight series, and Titan quest.

11. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I am not much into turn-based RPGs to be honst. They are not my thng. On the other hand, games like Devi May Cry nad Beyonetta are certainly my cup of tea. I dig that kid of stuff.

12. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

I like turn based RPG games for single player. I prefer action RPG's for playing multiplayer.

13. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I have an addiction to handheld turnbased RPGs, but I also like action based rpgs for games that aren't handheld. Then again, there aren't too many turn-based western rpgs that are common to the current systems out there right now in the west. So, for the most part, I have to enjoy handheld non-online games when reffering to a non-MMO RPG.

14. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Honestly, both. It depends more on the individual game itself's battle system than the type. I can have a ton of fun playing Diablo and Fire Emblem both. That said, I noticed that there are more well made games in turn based series, when it comes to action RPGs - at least the typical ones, like Diablo or Titan Quest - a lot of the games seem to be very average to bad, and a gem only comes up every few years.

15. bavinnie

bavinnie Active Member

Both systems have their time and place, but as a game as a whole very few ARPGS are actually good as a whole I find, where as most TB(S)RPGs are pretty solid all around, well balanced - fun you can take them casually or play a more hardcore style (See Banner Saga, loved it by the way) and the stories are usually MUCH better than your typical ARPG by leaps and bounds, but I've played thousands of hours of both types, so in the end I can say I couldn't live without one or the other.

16. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

I like both but I will say I have more of a love for the turn based rpg games. They usually involve more strategy and planning ahead than the action based ones. And as a person that plays chess, I value that kind of thing.

17. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

Turn-based is my favorite for several reasons. I can assess the damage done. I can think clearly on my next attack or move in defense. I can also take a quick break to get a drink or do whatever I need to physically attend to my own needs and not worry about a monster killing me. Plus, I don't mind waiting. It gives me more time to sit back and relax as the battle goes on.

18. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

The problem I have with action RPGs is they make combat so meaningless on it´s own. You play Diablo and you kill 100,000 zombies and remember none of them.

19. fatguy39

fatguy39 Active Member

Haha, I love them both as well. Most of the things I look for in an RPG would be a good story, with interesting characters, and gameplay comes second. Regarding the thing of turn-based or not, I think if given the technology before the gaming industry started, we wouldn't have been introduced to turn-based, but maybe that's just me.

I do love action RPG, but it seems that most of the the RPG that I like right now seem to be turn-based. For example, I love the older Final Fantasy titles (having started back when Final Fantasy IV was still called II in the US), but series like the Hyperdimension Neptunia (not counting U and the tactics-like Hyperdevotion Noire), and the Atelier series are quite nice, and being recent as well.

One of my favorite action-RPGs would be Ar Tonelico Qoga (the third in the game, since the first two aren't exactly action RPGs), but still, the gameplay isn't exactly as good, hahaha! A lot of the craziness lies on it's crazy fan service. Oh boy...

Hmm, darn, I do seem to incline over to the turn-based ones though, haha!

20. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer action RPG. I don't like turn based RPG. It's just not my style. I used to like turn based RPG but now it's different.