A Game of Thrones MMORPG?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by djskyrim, Mar 27, 2016.

1. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have played most of the Telltale game's GoT games and although I didn't like the limited, sort of forced storyline, I did feel that an actual MMORPG based on the same engine would really make sense. I mean there is plenty of Westeros even within the books to last a lifetime. So, do you think an there should be an online version of GoT games and if there were such a version would you like to play?

JamesGoblin likes this.
  2. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

why not? because there are already a huge amount of games focused on ´house v house´ type of gameplay.

For general reasons why not? First off, MMORPGs that are built on a huge IP like GoT usually are terrible because a huge portion of the development budget gets sucked up paying for the IP license. A game without a famous IP can have twice as many devs as a game with an IP.

As far as GoT in particular... when would you want it to occur? The problem is you would pick some particular point in the story, and then the game would have to be trapped in that small time frame. You want to side with Stanis? how much fun knowing that he is dead in the future. House Stark? To me, one of the things that sucked about SWTOR was that you already knew how it ended.

I think for single player games where you can strictly control the time-frame where the game takes place, it is fine to use a big IP. But for a MMORPG, you almost need to wait until the books are finished, and then do the MMORPG.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  3. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's a title that can lend itself well to this type of game especially considering that many of the existing ones already are very close to it. It will do very well in the market I guess and now that you mention it I start to wonder why it hasn't been done already since I'm guessing fans of these genres often crossover.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  4. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would absolutely love to play something in the style of GoT as an MMO, but I would definitely want them to stay away from the storyline and make it more unique to the game itself. I hate when games like these end up to confined to storyline and their potential ends up stifled by limitations.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

But there are already tons of games that have that house v house gameplay. Guild Wars 2?

By using GoT, what do you have? the lannisters who have no real leader now.. the starks who barely exist.. the barathians who barely exist.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  6. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Of course the game would be tweaked from the actual show. It wouldn't just leave off on where the show is at. You'd have all of the characters that existed from the beginning of the series.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  7. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well I would absolutely play it if it was done well. There are many of these mmorpgs that get alot of hype and don't really make it to be anywhere near good. In fact... the more I think about it, a well done GoT mmorpg might be pretty decent.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  8. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

And so you would play the game, join house Baratheon under which King? Doesn´t matter the choice, both die (spoiler alert). You would play a Stark, knowing that they are almost all dead, and have lost their capital city to guy who wasn´t on the show at the beginning?.

SWTOR had this huge problem with that. Anyone who tried to roleplay or take their faction seriously was constantly reminded that nothing they did mattered because everyone already knew the future.

I think we have to wait to see how the books end, and then possible start the MMORPG from where things fall.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  9. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah I think popular titles like this when adapted into video games run the risk of being turned into generic versions of their counterparts. The best way is really to get people who are genuinely interested in the show and who know at the core what makes it so popular and beloved.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  10. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

Since to me GOT is about the characters and not the battles in particular playing an MMO about it wouldn't make it justice IMHO. I want to follow the main cast's story, not some generic dude going around and doing quests even though it's in the same world.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  11. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, if they can create a game where you can be any of the main GoT characters, that would be really fun. I don't want to follow a randomly created character either.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  12. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is the problem that LOTRO and SWTOR had. Everyone wanted to play one of the main characters, so you would get in a group in LOTRO and have your group would be named a misspelling of Legalos. In SWOTOR; you had derivatives of Han Solo or Luke, even though the game was set in the time frame where those guys were not alive.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

A Game of Thrones MMO might be viable if they can get the world right. And also, all the factions and different houses. But I don`t think we will see a game like this anytime soon.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  14. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

It would certainly be interesting, and maybe if it had the type of world structure DA:I has, it would work. Though like others said, a lot of the budget gets eaten up by licensing.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  15. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

It would be rather fun to have an MMO set in the Game of Thrones universe for sure! However I'm not too sure how they could introduce houses and the story into the MMO, with so many characters ending up dying. How would questlines work for different house players?

JamesGoblin likes this.
  16. mauricioq

mauricioq Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't know how they would this, but, as a GOT fan, this would be a game I would play without a doubt. And since GOT is super popular, there would be a ton of players.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  17. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

That actually sounds like an amazing idea. There's enough background lore to setup a story on, and every fan of Game of Thrones would absolutely love the idea of creating characters and roaming around Westeros, battling for the throne, and even defending the kingdom against wildlings and many more. That sounds really awesome, and I hope this idea becomes a reality, because it is absolutely money.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  18. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

You want to battle against wildlings? But it appears like they are the good guys now in the north, and will be the ones fighting against Ramsey and will end up helping Sansa..

And that goes back to my point, we don´t know the story yet. Two years ago, everyone was all big on Stannis, and the problem remains they would have to put the game at a single point in the story, and so you would have all types of messed up lore.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

When the series are going to go downhill a little I'm sure they will make a game about GoT, the opportunity is too big to not cash it in. The characters and story are perfectly fit for a MMORPG.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  20. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Oh gawd no. It shouldn't even be on TV, lets not make a bad game to compliment a bad show.

: game idea