4A Games: Sandbox-Style next game

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Derrame, Aug 28, 2014.

1. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I think in a proper survival game, like survival on a desert island, think castaway, food should play an important part with all stuff like protein, fibre and some such being taken into account, you could bring stuff like constipation into account. That wouldn't work well in something like stalker or an open world metro game but in a barebones, washed up on a desert island, with nothing but a pencil, I think those game mechanics would work. it would also have to give you the ability to give a football a name

2. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

:lol:

With Stalker, the eating mechanics just didn't work well -or any game other game with the same idea. Yeah, the game would give you an indication when you were hungry, but, for me, it never felt that appealing. All you do is press the key for your inventory and scarf down 10 sausages, 5 tourist delights, vodka, and bread in a few seconds. It was something that was just there to have. If it was on a deserted island, like Cast Away, then I see the food/sleep system working quite well, like you said. And Wilson was a volleyball, not a football. :p.

3. TheDarknessEnvelops

same thing, they're both spheres

4. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Not the American football :p

5. TheDarknessEnvelops

I mean english football as in football, not soccer

6. NuclearWastE3

Regular

:madgrin: Hehehe

7. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Well what if there was something along the lines of Survivalist Perks, so that you as the player character can progress in the art of eating, drinking, and sleeping in order to survive. Things like filtrating water more effectively without the risk of infection, finding out ways to better consume food so you can eat less and have it count for more - and something similar to sleep.

It would prove detrimental for the PC to be too tired: lack of perception and stamina if you are eating the wrong things or eating/sleeping to little, etc.? I'm simply brainstorming, but I feel that these three things add such a solid layer of immersion to open world games.

The same thing goes for holstering weapons. If something like this were to get made, I would adore the developers if they added the function of holstering all of your weapons and having nothing in your hands. Too many games (Far Cry 2/3/4 come to mind) make you keep a weapon in your hands, and I feel like it takes away from the atmosphere of the game. How am I supposed to revel in this symbolic atmosphere if I am pointing my gun at everything? S.T.A.L.K.E.R nailed this with the bolt function, as well as having the ability to put your weapons in your pack and having nothing in your hands. The same goes for the Fallout series, as well as Skyrim and the other Elder Scrolls installments.

Just food for thought, that's all.

8. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Great ideas, and I do wish for the immersion to be that immense. The eating and system cycle would, at least for me, need to be a focal point in the gameplay, or else it wouldn't work. I also enjoyed the ability to holster your weapon in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. It bothered me a bit when I wasn't able to holster the weapons in Metro, but, at the same time, I enjoyed staring at the mechanics of the guns -especially any of the kind that had a gauge and florescent paint. I also enjoy the perk of removing all huds in games like Stalker and Metro. It definitely opens up the game to glorious eye-candy.

9. Eru Cozorav

Eru Cozorav Well-Known Member
    Regular

it could be worked like last seed mod for skyrim (the author was also behind the frostfall mod)

In Last Seed, there is the ideas of hunger and wellness. Hunger is moment-to-moment, and based more on feeling full and satisfied. Wellness is longer-term and has more inertia associated with it. You can be perfectly healthy and starving (in the hungry sense), or be completely full but malnourished. The main gameplay loop will be eating well enough, consistently enough, to keep wellness high. If wellness begins to suffer, it might take several in-game days (extending beyond an in-game week, if serious) to turn around. The penalties for hunger will be rather mild. Penalties to your skills and stats for being unwell could be more severe.

As for the issue where you could just consume x amount of food at same time, there should be a thing called "meal". A "meal" will be system that stimulate your stomach fullness, so you'll stop when you are satiated which depend on what you eat could affect your wellness. as such like real world you expect to eat a healthy composition of food. not just 10 candy or 3 cans of canned meat.

Now metro is not known for diet variety, sure the fresh vegetable is possible and indeed exist. but only the upper class could acquire it. so far the common staple seem to be; Pig, mushroom, rats and shrimp.

#29 Eru Cozorav, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
  10. TheDarknessEnvelops

That's not a healthy way to eat?

Oh god.....

11. Eru Cozorav

Eru Cozorav Well-Known Member
    Regular

sshh... i dont know if you could burn blood sugar in cramped and clausthrophobic place like metro :lol:

Gitgut diabetic people, i heard hansa still produce insulin from..pig

but what could that mean ? :)