4A Games: Sandbox-Style next game

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Derrame, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Derrame

Derrame Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hello Rangers,

im not allowed to post on the news section, so i put this here, i just find it,
    rumors on a sandbox next game from 4A Games:

The Metro and Stalker games are incredibly atmospheric post-apocalyptic shooters, but where Stalker is set in a sprawling open world, Metro is a far more claustrophobic and linear experience. But it sounds like Metro developer 4A Games might just be aiming for something a little more Stalker-like in its next game.

In a lengthy interview with Eurogamer, 4A Games Chief Technical Officer Oles Shishkovstov talked about "the performance differential between Xbox One and PlayStation 4," the difficulty of developing for multiple platforms, the strengths and weaknesses of different APIs and all that sort of thing. It's good stuff if you're into that sort of thing, but the really interesting bit, at least for me, came around the midway point when he was asked if he could talk about what the studio is currently working on.

"For the game we are working on now, our designers have shifted to a more sand-box-style experience - less linear but still hugely story-driven," he said. "I will not go into details, but it requires some work from programmers as well."

It's only a couple of sentences and nothing more is said about it, although to be fair, it's a Digital Foundry interview focused on developing for the new generation of consoles. But the possibility of an open-world Metro game is incredibly exciting. And it's also the sort of thing that 4A Games might actually do: It was founded in 2005 by former members of GSC Game World, the studio that created the Stalker franchise

I pesonelly loved th stalker series, and now the metro redux, ove that post apocalyptic, radioactive, mutant atmosphere, the environments in stalker, and now in metro are amazing, i really hope this rumor is true, and the next Metro game to be sandbox, story driven of course, i trust 4A Games, they'll make it perfect

source http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/28/m...o-4a-games-teases-a-sandbox-style-experience/

regards :)

2. Well, they've been going on about a space sci-fi game for months now.

3. BrutalLemon

BrutalLemon Active Member

This is great news :D

I loved Stalker too so much and wished that that sort of game was made by a studio as dedicated and with such attention to detail as 4A. Not that GSC were bad or anything but they were all pretty buggy games and very different from Metro.

To have that sort of world again on my PC in the 4A Engine is a thing of dreams so I really hope that happens.

Thanks for posting dude

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

Looking forward to a sandbox-game by 4A indeed, but I'm highly doubting it'll be a post-apocalyptic one if that's what you're thinking :)

5. MastaVile

MastaVile New Member

-http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/27/next-game-from-metro-series-developer-less-linear-more-sandbox/

Finally and open world post-apoc game , i hope somewhere down the light it wont only be based in Russia, Hopefully the U.S. or Britan or somewhere eles, it could give them a chance to introduce more monsters and threats

6. Autumnal Wanderer

Autumnal Wanderer Level 28 Ranger

Okay, almost two hours of searching, I cannot find that video which I wanted to show you. It was an live demo from Gamescom if I am not mistaken, and taken by Gamespot, but I am not sure about this. So, the journalist speaked with a guy from Deep Silver (during the coversation was a redux gameplay), who speaked about the 4A Games move to Malta, and he said also, that they have an unannounced Metro project as well, which is in pre-production.

7. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Was the journalist black and the guy from deep silver wearing a red shirt? Were there two people in the background playing Metro Redux? The video that I saw shows some redux gameplay, it does not speak about 4A's move to Malta, and it does not talk about an unannounced Metro project -though, the journalist does ask if there are any other future projects and the guy from DS says that he can't really say anything.

Anyway, not sure if this is the right video:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=aV2VZyllb1o[/YOUTUBE]

8. Autumnal Wanderer

Nope, this isn't that video, what I meant was an stage demo like at E3, when a journalist talks in a room, with a developer, or somebody from the publisher. I belive that was recorded at Gamescon, by Gamespot, and to be honest I found some private videos on their channel. I don't know, maybe I am wrong. Strange, because I wrote about this at the Official The Witcher forums, so...
    Anyway, I found an old article about the Metro LL multiplayer mode. Probably this is not legit information, because we would play that game by now.
    news.softpedia.com/news/Metro-Last-Light-Multiplayer-Will-Arrive-One-Year-from-Now-348865.shtml

9. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

Wow I'm so excited now that I have read this :D:D:D

10. Autumnal Wanderer

I didn't want to hype anybody. because that article could be fake, but I can imagine, that they still working on a multiplayer spin-off, but they changed the platforms to the PS4/XBO from the previous ones, so MAYBE this is the reason why we don't know a thing.

11. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I am going to take a hard line stance here, make the ranger mission from the faction pack but game sized and i am happy

12. [​IMG]

Also yes. Stalker in Metro. Shake, but not stir.

13. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Let's see if they release some more information...

14. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

It would be really great to create your own "Artyom", your own metro inhabitant.

#14 Vic, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I know that most of the active forum members have completed Last Light, but it still wouldn't hurt to use spoiler tags in case anyone browsing the page at any particular moment has not. Also, it's worth noting that this isn't necessarily true depending on which ending you got. ;)

16. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, sorry, sorry. I wrote it without thinking. It's edited now.

17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

No problem. And hell yes, I too would love to play a game set in the Metro 2033 universe that allows me to create my own character. :)

#17 Bamul, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  18. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

I'd be cool with an open world Metro game, as long as the PC would need to eat, drink, and sleep to survive. I'm tired of seeing so many open world games skip past this fact, even though many of them include sleeping/eating/drinking functions.

19. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Although I don't think every open world game needs such a feature, I do think it could work well as a central part of gameplay in an open world Metro title - it's supposed to be based around survival, after all.

20. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

^I agree. I've always found the feature quite useless and a waste of time in gaming. The idea of it is cool, but it feel meaningless in the end. Maybe if the feature was done correctly and it felt appropriate, then it would be good to include in a game; but even then, I would make it so it's just a bonus feature and not something that is required for you to do in order to survive in the game.