К свету

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Bamul, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Just finished reading "К свету" (or "Do Światła" as it is called in Polish), part of the "Universe of Metro 2033" book series and I gotta say - without spoiling anything - damn those Exodus worshipers are a bunch of pricks. :p It's a brilliant novel and I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum has read it. I absolutely love these stories within the world of Metro. Some of them are equal to or even better than the original Metro 2033 and Metro 2034 books. After finishing К свету, I'm really hyped for the sequel, which has already been translated to Polish earlier this month. I might be going to Poland in February, so I'll probably pick up a copy of it then.

2. Heavygunner

Heavygunner Well-Known Member
    Regular

Can you translate К свету in english?(Or German:p)

3. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

Google Translate translates the Russian title to "The Light/Das Licht" and the Polish title to "To The Light/Zum Licht".

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

The Polish translation is mostly right, but it would be more like "towards the light" or something along those lines. The Russian one is wrong. It means "towards the light" not just "light", since k svyetu (which is how К свету is pronounced) basically means the same as "ku świetle" in Polish (pronounced koo śvyetle), which is just a prettier way of saying "do światła". :) I'm guessing some of the Universe books were translated into German as well? I know they were translated into some other languages, but I never knew which ones. I do remember, however, that Metro 2033 was the only novel set in Glukhovsky's world to be translated to English, which is a shame - any Metro fans who speak only English (or any other of the languages that don't have their own versions of these books) are really missing out on some great stuff. :(

#4 Bamul, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  5. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

As a rule, everyone here should learn Cyrillic and by extension, Russian. I'm starting formal lessons in a few months, and I've already got the alphabet down, I'm pretty excited.

6. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

I've read it in swedish and it was a good book although I was a little annoyed with how they called flying mutants pterodactyls, and kinda said those were brought back from the dead, hinting that bloody dinosaurs flew above moscow.

7. Pip314

Pip314 Well-Known Member

Perhaps they were regarding this concept art of a Demon: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110818000223/metro2033/images/b/b2/Demon_Metro2034.jpg

To me, it looks more similar to a Pterodactyl than a Demon!

8. Lagtagbag

Lagtagbag Well-Known Member

I'm sorry i don't see the likeness.

9. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

I do see a likeness. However, that concept art looks like a combination of the Air Screamers or Night Flutters from the first Silent Hill game.

10. Heavygunner

Regular

Ahh:D
    Yes i have read that book.
    In German its called "Die Reise ins Licht" and i think it's the best book from the Metro Universe. Do you read the successor "towards the Dark"?(In German "Reise in die Dunkelheit")

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I've started doing this a few months ago and it's going really well. I can read Cyrillic with few mistakes (I can also write in it). The Russian language itself is not that hard for me to learn, as both it and Polish are Slavic languages so they share many similarities. It will just take time.

"Officially" I don't know Russian, but I can read it fine and sometimes understand plenty of it due to it being similar to Polish so much. :D I've been learning on my own and can't afford a proper teacher right now, but I hope I'll be able to find one cheap soon since it's time to move on and start learning the rules of the language itself, go into more detail and learn to read it faster. Good luck to you and anyone else on the forum who is learning Russian. ;)
    I haven't read the second one yet, but I do hope to get it soon. Have you read Питер (or "Piter")? I thought that one was very epic, even if a part of it dragged on for a bit - the entire rest of the book more than made up for it. :) Btw, there's also a third book in Andryey Diakov's series with Taran and Gleb, but I'm not sure if it has been translated yet.

#11 Bamul, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  12. Heavygunner

Regular

Yes Piter was really good too:)
    But i found out that the third part of Andrey Diakovs series isn't translated yet:rant:

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

That's a shame. Well, don't worry. They will translate it eventually. After all, they already translated two books in the trilogy so why would they leave out the last one? ;)